Becoming a member
SkullSpace is continually open to new members, and it’s easy to join us. Here’s what you need to know:
$40/mo. ($20/mo. for students)
We work on a pay-what-you-can model of membership fees, with the minimum amount of $40/month, and a discount of $20/month for students. We accept payment through direct-deposit and PayPal. Grab the direct-deposit form below:
If you need help with pre-authorized debit, check out our FAQ for more information.
You can also set up a monthly subscription through PayPal:
Note that with PayPal we include a fee to cover the transaction cost.
SkullSpace is governed by a set of bylaws (the legal stuff) and policies (member guidelines). It is important that new members get acquainted with this information. You can read more about our rules here:
In addition to our rules, each member is required to sign a membership agreement when joining SkullSpace. You can grab a copy here:
So you’re ready to submit your application. Great! You have a few options for applying:
- Attend one of our open nights on Tuesdays (6 PM – 8 PM) and bring your signed membership agreement. If you’re planning to pay by direct deposit, don’t forget your direct deposit form and a blank, voided cheque.
- You can also submit your application electronically by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the signed membership agreement form and direct deposit form, if paying by direct deposit. We’ll get back to you!
What you get
When you join SkullSpace, you instantly get access to a community of like-minded people working at the intersections of technology, IT security, art, and design. Build your network, get new ideas for your next project, or learn new skills by engaging in our vibrant community. We’re serious about what we do!
24/7 access to SkullSpace
Your membership comes with a digital access fob to use the hackerspace 24/7/365. With our great downtown Winnipeg location in the Exchange District, we know you’ll be visiting often!
Equipment & parts
SkullSpace has a wide range of tools and supplies, including (but not limited to!):
- A 3D printer
- A CNC machine
- An electronics workbench with soldering/desoldering equipment
- An overflowing supply of electronic parts including resistors, capacitors, switches, motors… you name it!
- Access to a library of cool electronics, computers, and books held off site
Servers & workstations
- Virtual machine service and mumd, the multi-user multi-desktop service hosted on it
- Graphics_workstation, Quad Intel core 2, 12GB DDR2, NVIDIA PCIe card
We have a large library of books and magazines on programming, electronics, and hacking, which we try to refresh as often as we can. You’ll also find a collection of fiction books too.
Board game library
Our board game library has been growing since day one, and is now overflowing! We have over 50 different board game titles and ample gaming space.
Classroom & presentation space
SkullSpace has created a pop-up presentation space with seating for over 40 people that includes a projector, tables, and whiteboards. We also rent this space out to interested groups looking to hold meetings or presentations, and as a member you can book the space for free.
Our lounge is an ever-evolving space with couches, carpet, a great sound system, and a projector for movies and games. We frequently host movie nights here and it’s always a blast.
For food hackers, we have a small kitchen space where you can prepare meals and create new concoctions. Did someone say molecular gastronomy?
@skullspace.ca email address
To round off your membership, you also get a email@example.com email address. Fancy!
Membership Approval Process
When a new member applies to join SkullSpace, we initiate a two-week consultation period where SkullSpace members have the opportunity to raise any questions or concerns they may have about the new member. After that period, the Board of Directors makes a decision to approve or not approve the new membership application.
We’ve only ever had to reject one application, so don’t worry! We’re looking forward to welcoming you.
Questions about the application process?
Read our FAQ